Saturday, July 28, 2018

Windows 10 and Other Stuff

Windows 10 and Other Stuff


I finally upgraded my desktop to Windows 10. So far Im quite pleased. In preparation I re-flashed the BIOS to the latest. As a result my OC settings were lost, but honestly I havent noticed much difference -- but maybe I will if I get a lot of addons re-installed. The stock frequency is 3.4 GHz and default FSX at least runs very smoothly. So far out of all my addons I only re-installed ASN, FSUIPC and GSX, nothing else. Im sure Ill get around to installing some of my addon aircraft and the GTN750 but otherwise Im not sure if Ill bother with much in the way of scenery. Mainly Im going to either just do some flying or otherwise fiddle with the SDK and maybe make some scenery.

Im looking forward to DTG Flight School release. Ive connected my controllers and got them working OK. My Saitek Throttle was a problem. Initially it was fine but when the computer would sleep it would stop working. I tried updating the driver but then it would not work at all. Finally I opened a trouble ticket and went through some suggested driver install procedures without success, but then I tried the Update Driver command (in Device Manager) and then choosing the option to use an already-installed driver. I tried different existing drivers and finally one of them worked. This did not resolve the sleep issue though so I changed my Power Management profile to high performance which keeps the computer from sleeping. It also seems I can reboot without losing the controller.

More helpful info here:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/479830-unable-to-install-saitek-yoke-drivers/

I noticed that Autodesk has a program called Fusion360 for 3D modeling. This is much more CAD oriented than for games, but for modeling aircraft, vehicles or buildings I think it might work well. It will be interesting to see if it can be applied to flight sim. The program is free for use by hobbyists.


go to link download